Friday, July 30, 2010

Happy Birthday Eko

So yesterday was my babes birthday, not Mark, Mr. Eko!  I should explain to those of you that don't know him just how his name came to be.  Mark and I are HUGE fans of LOST.  And Mr. Eko was an enormous Nigerian drug lord, who's character on LOST had a surprisingly faithful heart.  We thought it was pretty comical that Eko is a 13 lb. Lhasa Apso.  He has been the highlight to my everyday!  So this was my day to spoil him, even more than I already do!!!!  I did some research on dog friendly foods that I could put into a cake, that both he and we could enjoy.

Eko's Birthday Cake


2 cups of water                          3 cups whole wheat flour (or unbleached white)
2 ripe bananas                            1/2 tsp baking powder
1 carrot                                       1/2 cup carob powder
1/4 cup peanut butter (organic)
1 egg
1/8 tsp vanilla
3 tbs honey

Preheat oven to 350.  Mix bananas, honey, peanut butter, and carrots together in blender.  Slowly add water and the rest of the wet ingredients.  In a separate bowl add dry and mix well, slowly add 1/2 cup of dry mix at a time until incorporated.  Grease 9X13 inch pan.  It took me 45 min to bake, but it may take bit longer.  Use a toothpick in the center to check to see if it is done.

When I took it out, it looked very dry.  It was not your typical birthday cake.

Frosting


1/2 cup peanut butter (organic)
4 ounces of room temp. cream cheese
4 tbl honey
1/4 cup carob powder
* white chocolate chips to decorate

* Mark thought I could sell the recipe to Powerbar.  It is definitely a healthy tasting treat...a bit too bland for me (would need to add something), but carob is an acquired taste.  I have a huge thing of carob powder, so I will be using it in later recipes to use it up.










*Also, I made Eko a special dinner.  He LOVES red peppers, so I made a red pepper omelette!

No comments:

Post a Comment