Saturday, September 11, 2010



Mark and I love Thai food.  I've always used the Asia box mix, and add stuff to it.  It is always good, but I wanted to make it from scratch.  After I made the sauce, I was really skeptical and I almost threw it out.  It smelled really bad!  But, I went for it and it was so freakin good!!!!!  I also have never had tofu in my Pad Thai, and I used my panini press to get it crispy.  The tofu added an extra texture and flavor that really married well with the dish!!!  This recipe makes a lot, so it is perfect for a dinner party of four, or to have leftovers.  

Shrimp Tofu and Chicken Pad Thai

8 ounces extra-firm tofu
2 boneless chicken breasts
2 tbls peanut oil (more for brushing)
salt and pepper
2 shallots, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tbls ancho chili powder
2 tsp tamarind paste, reconstituted in 1/4 cup water
1/4 cup rice vinegar
2 tbls fish sauce
2 tablespoons brown sugar 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
1 pound Thai rice noodles, soaked in hot water for 15 minutes and drained
1/4 cup thinly sliced green onion
4 ounces bean sprouts
1/4 cup cashews, toasted and coarsely chopped
  • Heat grill to high (or you can use a panini press, or stove top). Brush both sides of tofu and chicken with oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill the tofu on each side for 2 to 3 minutes or until slightly charred, remove, and cut into thin slices. Grill the chicken for 4 minutes per side or until slightly charred and just cooked through, remove, and cut into thin slices.

Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a medium saucepan. Add the shallots and garlic and cook until soft. Add the ancho powder and cook for 10 seconds. Add the tamarind mixture, vinegar, fish sauce, brown sugar, and peanut butter and bring to a boil.  Place the cooked noodles, tofu, shrimp and chicken in a large bowl. Pour the boiling sauce over the noodles and toss gently until until combined. Fold in the green onion,  and bean sprouts and top with the chopped nuts.

I love this picture, because it shows all the delicious ingredients and how the sauce perfectly coats the dish.  By making the peanut sauce from scratch, it added so much more flavor and you get the real sense of Thai food.  I think if you try this dish, you will think that you were eating right on gulf of Thailand itself.  It truly was an amazing dish!!!!

To Tainlandia,
Mary Proulx

No comments:

Post a Comment