Friday, September 3, 2010

Spicy Shrimp and Cheesy Grits

I saw this recipe in Food and Wine, and it looked delicious.  I changed a few of the ingredients, and I added more of certain ones too.  When I looked at the recipe I miss read the amount of cheese, so I over cheesed...and it made the grits a little too thick.  Next time I make it, I wouldn't add so much cheese, so it is more bothy.  Overall I thought the dish was delicious.  I was a fan of the spicy shrimp on top, the wine gave it some excellent flavor, that was out of this world good!!!  I didn't have spicy paprika so I was definitely missing that kick of heat, but I thought this meal was excellent.  My dads side of the family is part Native American and has always used grits, so I have been a fan of them forever!!  Needless to say, grits are a food that I always have in my cabinets.
Cheesy Grits
3/4 cup quick-cooking grits
3 cups water
3/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese (preferably white)
2 cups baby spinach, coarsely chopped
1/4 cups snipped chives
salt and pepper
In medium sauce pan, bring 3 cups of water to a boil.  Add grits with a pinch of salt.  Cover and cook over low heat for 5-7 min.  Season with salt and pepper and stir in cheese, spinach, and chives.  Stir until the cheese is melted and the spinach is wilted.  Serve spicy shrimp over the cheesy grits.
Spicy Shrimp
1 lb shelled shrimp
1/4 cup canola oil
2 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 tsp hot paprika
1/4 cup dry white wine
salt and pepper
In a large skillet, heat canola oil with garlic over high heat, 30 seconds.  Add the shrimp and paprika, cook until the shrimp are opaque (2 min or so).  Season with salt and pepper. Add the wine and cook until the shrimp are white and the sauce is slightly reduced.

As you can see the sauce from the picture, the spicy shrimp has a nice vibrant broth.  I don't cook with wine much, but this definitely turned me on!  I absolutely loved this dish, Mark on the other hand didn't like the texture of the cheesy grits (probably because of the extra cheese).

Ciao amico,
Mary Proulx

No comments:

Post a Comment