Friday, August 6, 2010

Arugula Pesto Pasta

My dad is here for the weekend, so while they watch Boston vs. New York I'm writing up our meal.  My dad loves pesto, so I thought I would surprise him with this meal.  I also made macaroon's for dessert.  Growing up (and now) my dad's always has the best stories, and one of them involves macaroons, so I had to make him them (I will share this recipe another day, I don't want to be writing all night).  It was my first attempt, and they were wicked good!!!  I've heard of pesto's using arugula, but I was skeptical, I really love the taste of the original basil pesto.  I actually really loved it!  The arugula adds a real peppery flavor to the pesto, and adds a big bite to your meal.  I found this recipe in the Everyday Rachael Ray magazine, and it looked delicious.

Arugula Pesto

6oz. arugula
1 cup fresh basil leaves
1/2 cup pine nut
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
2 cloves of garlic
2/3-3/4 cup olive oil
salt to your liking

Using a food processor, puree all the above ingredients.


I used fusilli pasta, which was perfect because the arugula pesto really stuck to it.  I put asparagus, crispy bacon, and more parmesan cheese (to me you can never have enough parmesan cheese).  The peppery taste of the arugula with the bacon and asparagus really worked well together.  The cherry wood smoked bacon added an extra layer of flavor to the meal.






Ciao amico's,

Mary Proulx

No comments:

Post a Comment