Thursday, August 19, 2010

Mmmm Mmmmm Macaroons!

Two weekends ago, my dad came up for the weekend to watch Marks debut triathlon.  He (like me) always needs something sweet after he eats.  I was so busy that day trying to get everything clean, and making dinner that I totally forgot about dessert.  Growing up, my dad (and still does) use to tell us tons of great stories, and one involved the first time he had a macaroon.  I, unlike my dad, am a horrible story teller (as you can tell from my random messages I leave) so I will spare you...it is a just had to be there moment.   I have never made macaroons before, and they seemed pretty hard to make, but I had all of the ingredients so I thought I would give them a try. I couldn't believe how quick and easy they were (not to mention delicious).  I will DEFINITELY make these again for the dadio, and myself!  After Marks triathlon, I handed out some to all our friends and they loved them as well, so I gave myself a huge pat on the back.




Macaroons
14 ounces sweetened shredded coconut                               
14 ounces sweetened condensed milk                                 
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 extra-large egg whites, at room temperature
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt




Preheat the oven to 325
Combine the coconut, condensed milk, and vanilla in a large bowl. Whip the egg whites and salt on high speed in the bowl of an electric mixer until they make medium-firm peaks. Carefully fold the egg whites into the coconut mixture, using a spatula.  Drop the batter onto sheet pans lined with parchment paper, I made mine pretty big, so whatever size you want them to be. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until golden brown. Cool and serve (and store in an airtight container, if they last that long).

These macaroons were so gooey and moist, I loved them!  They were perfectly sweetened, and not too overwhelming.  The hint of vanilla was a perfect addition.  I may try almond extract the next time I make them, I feel like that could taste really good.  

We ate them so fast, that I am not really sure how long they last. But, I would recommend putting them in an air tight container, and maybe in the refrigerator if you don't plan on eating them all at once (like we did).  



Gustare,

Mary Proulx

No comments:

Post a Comment